5 Advantages of Installing a Water Softening System With a Tankless Water Heater
Tankless water heaters, like traditional tank-based water heaters, can sometimes benefit from water softeners. Adding a softener to your system can help your tankless water heater warm up water faster, last longer, even make your water feel cleaner.
What Does a Water Softener Do?
A water softener decreases the pH level of your water supply. ‘Hard water’ has a high pH level, meaning it has a larger concentration of positively charged Hydrogen ions. This is associated with minerals like calcium and other alkaline compounds.
Usually, a softener is a device that is attached near your water main. Most softeners filter hard water through polystyrene balls or through a resin which passively attracts the positive ions.
Why Is a Water Softener Helpful?
There are multiple implications for what the softening of water can do. The level of difference you might notice depends on how hard your water is coming in, but generally speaking you can expect the following benefits:
- Decreased limescale – if left unchecked, hard water will lead to calcium build-up around your plumbing system, known as limescale, which can degrade the quality of your water pressure and lifespan of your pipes
- Longer water heater lifespan – decreasing limescale leads to an increase in life expectancy for all appliances, including your water heater
- Faster heating – more neutral, soft water heats up faster than alkaline, ionically charged water
- Safer water quality – hard water can pose an issue to your health, and if you’ve been experiencing itchiness after you shower or yellowing of your laundry, then softening the water may be what you need
- Save money – all the above benefits are connected to cost saving (since you won’t have to expend as much energy to heat the soft water nor replace the pipes or heater as fast), and the amount of upkeep a softener requires is very minimal (flushing the device whenever it builds up with collected minerals)
If you want to talk to an expert to learn more about water softening your tankless heater, Walden Plumbing is here to help, servicing over 100 zip codes around the North Shore area with over 100 years of business history. Call 781.780.3184 today!