Caring for Your Washing Machine Hoses in Reading, MA & the North Shore
Many people make efforts to conserve water in Reading, MA by fixing toilet leaks and dripping faucets. Some people take water conservation to the next level by opting for low-flow plumbing fixtures. But there’s one simple thing that most people forget to do that could save a large amount of water from being lost—a washing machine hose inspection. When a washing machine hose bursts, it can leave your floors, furniture, and other items drenched in water. Burst hoses aren’t just a huge waste of water; they can cause thousands of dollars in water damages in matter of seconds. To prevent a burst washing machine hose you’ll want to inspect your hoses and replace them when necessary. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
Inspect Your Washing Machine Hoses in Reading, MA
- Make sure that your washer is at least four inches away from the wall behind it. This will help to keep hoses from kinking and bending.
- Check the connections on your hoses once a month to ensure that they are tight. If they’ve come loose, go ahead and tighten them.
- Look for blisters, worn tubing, or cracks in your hoses.
- The most common part of the hose to fail is the area near the connection where the hose bends.
Replace Your Washing Machine Hoses in Reading, MA
- If you spot any signs of wear, replace your hoses immediately.
- Consider replacing rubber hoses with stainless steel braided hoses which are less likely to burst.
- Hoses can deteriorate from the inside out, so be sure to replace your hoses every three to five years even if you don’t see any signs of wear.
When you leave for a vacation, go ahead and turn off the supply valves to the hot and cold water, so that you can be sure your hoses won’t have a problem while you’re gone. We hope sharing these tips will save at least one of our customers from the unpleasant experience of a burst washing machine hose. For more plumbing maintenance tips from the experts click here! At Waldman Plumbing, we’re here to help with any plumbing service you need in Reading, MA and the North Shore—just give us a call!