Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips from Waldman Plumbing
Last month, a couple from Lexington, KY, was taken to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning. Luckily, their home came equipped with a carbon monoxide detector, which alerted both the couple and responding fire fighters to the danger. The couple received treatment for their exposure and both are expected to be just fine. You can read more about the story at the local Lexington news website.
At Waldman Plumbing, we take carbon monoxide safety seriously. Carbon monoxide gas is especially dangerous because it cannot be seen or smelled; instead, people have to be aware of the side effects associated with exposure to the gas. These side effects include nausea, vomiting, and light-headedness. Prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide gas can lead to permanent health damages and even death, so it’s essential to act quickly if you suspect you or someone you love has been exposed.
Our Beverly plumbers wants every Beverly, MA, resident to be safe when it comes to carbon monoxide. We offer the following safety tips for home and business owners in the area:
- Have a working CO detector. The best way to protect yourself and your family is to have a carbon monoxide detector that works. In the event that there is a leak in your home, this device will alert you by beeping (similar to a smoke detector).
- Know the signs. Like all technology, detectors can sometimes fail at their duties. Knowing the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning—light-headedness, nausea, etc—is the next-best way to prepare your home for danger. If anyone shows these symptoms, you should contact a medical professional immediately.
- Have a plan. Safety plans are the best way to prepare for an emergency, like CO poisoning. If you suspect that your home has been exposed to a gas leak, you should vacate the premises immediately and call 911. You should under no circumstances re-enter the building until a professional gives you the go-ahead.
Carbon monoxide is one of the leading causes of accidental deaths in the United States. Carbon monoxide leaks can happen anywhere and at any time, so it’s essential that you and your family are prepared and knowledgeable about the health risks and dangers associated with exposure. If you think that your home might have been exposed to CO gas, call Waldman Plumbing today. Our team has the tools and expertise to detect leaks in your heating and air conditioning system before they turn into major problems. Call us today to schedule an inspection: (781) 780-3184.