How to Create a Safer, More Accessible Bathroom for the Elderly and Disabled in Reading, MA
Every year, more than 2.5 million elderly people are treated in emergency rooms for injuries related to slips and falls, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), with the bathroom being a common area for slips and falls to take place!
In 2010, data from the U.S. Census Bureau revealed that 14.2% of the Reading, MA were age 65 or older, making bathroom accessibility a top priority in our community. At Waldman Plumbing and Heating Inc., we’re committed to the safety and satisfaction of all of our customers, which is why we offer a range expert plumbing services in Reading, MA such as accessible plumbing fixture installation and repair.
Here’s how you can create a safe and easy to use bathroom for elderly and disabled family members.
- Pay attention to lighting Many seniors have impaired vision. Make sure your bathroom has the appropriate lighting fixtures to reduce shadows and keep the space well-lit, especially in the tub and shower area.
- Provide extra security and stability Bathroom grab bars and rails can be mounted in the bath or shower area, close to the sink, and by the toilet for additional leverage when standing and sitting. They also make it easier for caregivers to provide assistance.
- Install accessible plumbing fixtures Fixtures such as thermostatic shower valves and lever-style faucets that are compliant with Americans with Disability Act (ADA) standards are safer and easier to use and can prevent burn injuries caused by hot water.
- Raise toilet and sink height Call us to replace your existing toilet with one that sits higher. Even just a few inches can make big difference in terms of ease of use for someone who has trouble standing or sitting on their own. Similarly, raise or replace the sink with one that sits higher so it’s easier and safer to use for someone who uses a wheelchair or that has trouble bending over.
- Install a walk in tub or shower These making bathing and showering easier than ever before for both caregivers and their patients or loved ones with a range of built in safety features such as shower chairs, handheld showerheads, non-slip surfaces, and more. Some even have whirlpool jets for a relaxing spa-like experience.
You can entrust the safety of your family to Waldman Plumbing and Heating, Inc. For more information on improving bathroom accessibility in Reading, MA, call us today!