How to Choose a High-Efficiency Faucet to Save Water
When we hear about “going green” and high-efficiency products, it’s usually referring to products that consume less energy, like appliances, furnaces, and air conditioning. But did you know that you can also increase the efficiency of your plumbing? By upgrading your kitchen, bathroom, or utility sink faucet to a high-efficiency model, you could save water, which is good for the environment and your budget.
What to look for in a high-efficiency faucet
When shopping for a new faucet, the choices can be a bit overwhelming. If saving water is one of your main goals, choose a faucet that has the WaterSense label on the packaging. Created by the Environmental Protection Agency, the WaterSense label means the faucet is certified to use at least 20% less water than the average product, while also performing just as well as traditional models.
Types of faucets
Whether shopping online or in a home improvement store, you’ll find a wide range of faucets designs.
- Single-handle faucet – The most common type of faucet that has a single lever that controls the water flow and temperature.
- Double-handle faucet – As the name implies, this style has separate controls for hot and cold water. These faucets are more common in bathrooms than kitchens.
- Pull-down faucet – A popular choice in today’s kitchen, these faucets typically have a tall gooseneck design with a head that can but pulled out of the spout for precise, handheld spraying.
- Pull-out faucet – Similar to the pull-down style, but instead you detach the whole faucet head instead of just the small hose.
- Hands-free faucet – The most modern style, these faucets have motion-sensing technology that allows you to turn it on and off by placing your hand nearby (not pulling a lever). This convenience comes at a cost, as these can be the most expensive style of faucets.
Brands of high-efficient faucets
All major brands these days make faucets that feature the WaterSense label. Some of the most popular brands include Delta, Kohler, Pfister, Moen, and more.
Professional plumbers in the Lynn, MA area
Once you find your perfect faucet, the next step is to install it in your home. This is where the expert team at Waldman Plumbing and Heating, Inc. comes in. Whether you’re remodeling your entire kitchen or bathroom, or simply upgrading a single fixture, we’re here for all your plumbing needs. Schedule an appointment today at (781) 780-3184.