Our 6 Favorite Benefits of Radiant Heating
If you’re in the market for a new heating system, you may think you’re stuck with the same old, same old like a furnace, heat pump, or radiator. However, there is another option that is becoming more and more popular with homeowners: radiant heating.
Radiant heating offers numerous benefits, including higher energy-efficient, quiet operation, consistent comfort, and the elimination of ductwork.
What is radiant heating?
Radiant heating is a type of heating that is very different from forced-air systems like furnaces or heat pumps. Instead of warm air pushed through ductwork and vents, radiant heating uses small tubes installed between the subfloor and finished flooring (such as hardwood, carpet, or tile). The tubes are heated, and that energy rises from the floor to heat the air in the space.
There are three major types of radiant heating, determined by the fuel source and how the tubes are heated:
- Electric radiant heating
- Air floor heating
- Hydronic floor heating (also known as liquid radiant heating)
Benefits of radiant heating
- High efficiency – Radiant heating eliminates the primary source of heat loss with forced-air heating systems: ductwork. For example, to bring indoor space to a comfortable 70°F, a furnace actually produces air around 150°F, but some of that heat is lost as the air travels through the ducts. Being more energy-efficient, radiant heating can help reduce your monthly utility bills.
- Consistent comfort – As we all learned in schools, heat always rises. So radiant heating will consistently and evenly warm up the area where it’s installed (unlike other systems where areas closest to vents may be warmer). Also, radiant heating doesn’t affect the indoor humidity level, helping create a more comfortable (and less dry) environment.
- Zoned and scalable heating – Radiant heating can be installed in specific, highly trafficked spaces such as kitchens, living areas, or bedrooms, so you don’t waste energy and money to heat spaces not typically used. After initial installation, you can always choose to add radiant heating to other floors.
- No ugly ducts – With radiant flooring, you don’t need vents protruding from walls or ceilings, or big, bulky radiators taking up space.
- Silent operation – Radiant heating is very quiet, even when it’s on and creating heat. This can be a welcomed change from noisy furnaces or radiators.
- Good for allergies – Since radiant heating doesn’t require ductwork, it reduces the amount of dust and allergens that get blown around the home.
Radiant heat installation in Lynn, MA
There’s one final benefit to radiant heating that we know our customers love – warm, cozy feet!
Now that you know more about radiant heating, you can consider it for specific rooms or your entire home. To learn more or get a free estimate, talk to the team at Waldman Plumbing and Heating, Inc. You can schedule an appointment by calling (781) 780-3184.