Fall Plumbing Maintenance in Boston Prevents the Need for Winter Plumbing Repairs
Residents of Boston know just how cold winter can be. Last year had record highs for snowfall and below freezing temperatures. Sadly, some families had their water heaters break down right in the middle of the coldest weather. This year, Waldman Plumbing wanted to offer a few fall plumbing tips to help our Boston clients avoid winter plumbing problems such as frozen pipes.
Fall Plumbing Maintenance Tips:
- Plumbing Insulation
- Styrofoam faucet insulation can cover any exterior faucets. They’re available at most home improvement stores.
- Inspect all exposed pipes in basements, crawl spaces, and along exterior walls. Insulate all pipes that may be exposed to cold or freezing temps.
- Routine Plumbing Maintenance Inspections
- Be sure to have your water heater, sewer/septic system, and furnace inspected. These units provide vital services to your home, and you don’t want any to break down in the dead of winter. Routine maintenance inspections help spot problems before it’s too late.
- Debris and Clogs
- Be sure to clear your HVAC system, gutters, and downspouts of all leaves and debris. Failing to do so could cause serious problems for your roof, gutters, and more.
- Exterior Plumbing
- All hoses, sprinkler systems, and faucets should have attachments removed. You should also shut the water off and drain off any excess water. This helps eliminate water in the pipes, which prevents freezing and bursting throughout the winter months.
These are just a few of the tips that can help you stay warm all winter long. For more information, feel free to give us a call. Our licensed technicians are prepared to help you with any plumbing problem or winterization question.