Tips for Tackling Garbage Disposal Repair
Most Massachusetts homeowners use their garbage disposals regularly without a second thought — until something breaks and a repair or replacement is necessary. At that point, many homeowners have no idea how to proceed with garbage disposal repair. At Waldman Plumbing, we offer these tips for homeowners who are trying to understand the problem and make repairs.
Know Your Basic Garbage Disposal Issues
With your garbage disposal hidden away beneath the sink, it can be hard to figure out what might be going wrong. Some disposal issues that we commonly see include:
- A tripped breaker switch, which prevents power from getting to the disposal.
- An object being stuck in the disposal blades, which can cause the motor to spin without turning the blades.
- A leak, which may occur in the garbage disposal drain lines or gaskets.
- A clog, which cause your drain to run sluggishly or back up.
- Motor overheating or burnout, which causes a distinct burning smell.
A basic garbage disposal repair is all that is needed for some of these issues, while an outright replacement may be necessary for others.
Know When to Call a Repairman
Some garbage disposal problems, like an object being stuck in the blades, can be handled personally if you take safety precautions. You should always unplug the disposal and turn off the breaker switch before attempting anything else. However, if you’re uncomfortable with the idea of garbage disposal repair work, or if you’re dealing with an issue like a leak, clog, or motor blowout, it’s best to call a Beverly plumber. At Waldman Plumbing, we’re always standing by and ready to help. Contact us at 781-780-3184.